What does the NSFAS bursary cover? 2022
You qualify for a government bursary offered via the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS)
What is NSFAS?
NSFAS is a government entity under the Department of Higher Education and Training established according to the NSFAS Act (Act 56 of 1999) to provide financial support to disadvantaged students who wish to further their studies at public universities or TVET colleges.
What does the bursary cover?
Amounts indicated of accommodation, living allowance, transport and learning materials need to be aligned with the approved latest DHET guidelines.
As per the actual costs charged by the university (costs for private accommodation must not exceed costs for university residence)
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7 500 per annum
- Living allowance R15, 000 per annum
- Book allowances R5200 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum for students in catered residences
- Accommodation in an urban area R24,000 per annum
- Accommodation in an peri-urban area R18,900 per annum
- Accommodation in an rural area R15,750 per annum
- Transport (up to 40 km from institution) R7,350 per annum
- Transport R7000 per annum
- Incidental/personal care allowance R2900 per annum
Who qualifies for NSFAS funding?
- All South African citizens
- All SASSA grant recipients qualifies for funding
- Applicants whose combined household income is not more than R350 000 per annum
- Person with disability: Combined household income must not be more than R600 000 per annum
- Students who started studying before 2018 whose household income is not more than R122 000 per annum.
Who should not apply?
- Students that have completed a previous qualification.
- Students with a combined household income of more than R350 000 per annum.
- Students who have already applied, qualified and received funding. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements.
- Foreign students (any student who is not a South African citizen).