Takealot – Test Automation Specialist 2022
Takealot.com, South Africa’s leading online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Test Automation Specialist (Backend to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us!
Think you’ve been challenged before? Think again!
- Scale: Over 2.5 million happy shoppers shop online on takealot.com. Show them what you can do.
- Learn: We work with the best of the best, and then some. Code alongside industry leaders and upskill in record time.
- Grow: Expand your career in the fast-growing Takealot Group: takealot.com, Superbalist.com and Mr D Food. We like to promote from within: Here’s your chance.
Who’s who in the tech space
This position reports to the QA Team Lead
This role will be responsible for the maintenance and ongoing development of the automation solutions as well as the script coverage that supports the various teams in takealot.com. The Automation Specialist will be responsible for contributing and supporting the solutions in the engineering teams that will allow us to continue to release at pace, with confidence and with excellent quality.
As South Africa’s largest ecommerce company, we are a very dynamic, hyper growth organization seeking smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer exceptionally competitive compensation packages, a great company culture, and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you enjoy effecting change and making large impacts.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
- Root cause analysis of faults using QA and development tools
- Writes code, tests and pushes to production and test environments independently
- Liaise with internal teams (e.g. developers and product managers) to identify system requirements
- Maintenance of the automated regression test cases and test plans
- Execute automated tests in CI tools like Jenkins, Travis etc.
- Monitor the pipeline runs and investigate pro-actively with the qa team and the development team.
- Provide on-call support for the tests running in the production pipeline
- Provide after-hours support during production releases or deploys
- Reviews code, providing valuable improvements for the team
- Designs and implements system-level coded test automation solutions and deliver significant team-level projects
- Creates and executes unit test plans for automation frameworks
- Investigates and resolves defects in both automation or project spaces where automation is used
- Participates in functional and technical specification reviews
- Participates in creating and executing integration level test plans
- Develops detailed technical analysis and design specifications based on functional requirements for test automation
- Creates technical solutions to automation problems
- Contributes to the design of larger automation systems and automation strategies
- Works effectively across multiple teams to deliver large projects
- Mentors more junior test engineers
- Take ownership of the automation tests, production pipelines.
- Continuously improve the architecture methodologies and finds ways to improve code design, system performance, high scalability and security vulnerabilities in the takealot test frameworks
The skills we need:
- Strong sense of self-motivation, organization and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Enthusiastic team player who is delivery-oriented, takes responsibility for the team’s success, and strives to continually learn and improve through experience
- Specialized competencies:
- Customer centric
- Direct, solutions and results-oriented
- Innovative problem solver
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to learn business processes
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to build rapport and
- credibility with stakeholders
- Ability to operate in an agile environment
- Strong time-management skills
- Ambitious and hardworking individual prepared to do more than the 9 to 5 to get up to speed with the expected levels of test automation and quality assurance in Takealot
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced Diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering and a minimum of 3 years of Test Automation experience in a software/technology environment is required.
- In the event that a candidate does not have a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Diploma (in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering), an equivalent experience requirement must be met, which equates to a minimum of 6 years of Test Automation experience in a software/technology environment.
- Knowledge or experience in the e-commerce or retail industry is advantageous.
- Successfully contributed to the design, development and deployment on various test automation projects
- In-depth understanding of coding best practices, system scalability, security and performance tuning for automation solutions
- Solid knowledge and hands on experience in test design, development, and execution of test cases
- Must have the demonstrated intellectual ability to grasp basic software testing concepts.
- Ability to write QA documentation, test cases, test strategies and summarize findings.
- Proven expertise in one traditional OO language like Java, C++ or C# and one modern scripting or functional language like Python, Scala, Go, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of computer science fundamentals such as: Networking, data structures, cloud computing, security, code design, distributed systems, operations, algorithms, data structures, testing and test automation.
- Delivered projects on their own, and/or contributed to open source
- Collaborated on a project as part of a team
- Strong ability to perform software quality testing with accuracy and timeliness.
- Self-motivated, highly organized and able to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong knowledge of software development life-cycle and agile software development methodologies
- Ability to execute automated tests
Let’s talk about life @ Takealot Group
- The power is in your hands: We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs. Go on, be the master of your own destiny.
- No doors: We aren’t fans of stuffy offices or siloed work environments. See someone you like? High five, collab and make something great.
- Remote working: Love water cooler chats and working from home? Takealot.com offers a hybrid working model for the best of both worlds.
- Mentorship programme: We aren’t kidding when we say the people with the best people win. Now’s your chance to be one of the best, by learning from the best.
- Naspers Tech Community & Online Learning: Share ideas and grow with global industry leaders who are all just a Slack message away. Love to learn? Up-skill with free access to courses on MyAcademy, Udacity, Coursera and more.
- Good times: Get to know the other extraordinary minds at takealot.com during regular social events and out-of-office activities (think hikes, think mini golf, think good times).
- Staff discount. Millions of products across 28 departments. What more could you ask for?
- Birthday leave: Cake Day all the way. Enjoy your day off – you deserve it.
- Right tools, right job: Mac or Windows, two monitors or one. Whatever your preference, you’ll work on the latest tech, off the latest tech.
- Help when you need it most: Confidential counselling, legal support and financial guidance, for free, anytime, anywhere.
- Tech stack (for days): ReactJS, Python, Scala, Kotlin, Swift, Google Cloud, Kafka, Redis, Kubernetes and all things machine learning. If you build it, they will come.
- Free parking: No more 5km fun runs to your desk (unless you want to).
Like what you see?
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind. Apply today!!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.