Takealot | Email Marketing Manager 2021
takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Email Marketing Manager to join our team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper-growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment, and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Head of Insights and CRM.
Your responsibilities will include:
In this role, you will be responsible for all of Takealot’s Email Marketing. This includes building an Email Marketing Strategy that focuses on meeting and exceeding targets, analyzing and reporting on Email performance, and managing a team that helps to execute the Email Strategy.
- Email Marketing Strategy – Develop & implement an email strategy that is aligned with the business’s overall objectives. This includes increased email personalization and engagement, increasing the email subscriber base, driving traffic, acquiring new customers, and retaining existing customers.
- Email Campaigns – together with your team, you will be responsible for Takealot’s Email Marketing. This requires all emails to be accurately and timeously briefed, designed, approved, and deployed. This includes managing your department’s input into the marketing calendar, driving alignment across the marketing team to ensure that all functions address and deliver on the Merchant, Brand, CRM, and promotional priority requests. This may require work outside of standard business hours and will be managed accordingly.
- Email KPIs and Targets– You will be responsible for setting daily and monthly KPI targets that drive increased email engagement and are aligned with the overarching KPI targets. You will also be responsible for reporting back on performance against these KPIS on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- Reporting and Analysis – You will be responsible for reporting on the performance of email types and will need to actively deep-dive performance problems. This includes analyzing the subscriber database, researching best practices, recommending and implementing solutions, and ultimately monitoring problems to correction.
- Manage and grow the Email Marketing team. You will need to build and lead a team of high-performing Email Marketing Executives responsible for conceptualizing, briefing, checking, and sending Takealot’s Email Marketing. You will also need to manage the team’s growth and development.
- Partner with stakeholders across the business including Brand, Advertising, and Merchant teams to support business priorities and achieve KPI targets.
- Email Send Schedule – In collaboration with the broader Marketing and Retail teams, you will be responsible for designing the daily, weekly, and monthly email send the schedule to meet the required targets and business priorities.
- Audience Segmentation & Database Management – You will be responsible for selecting and segmenting Email audiences to achieve optimal campaign results. Furthermore, you will be responsible for the maintenance of the subscriber database (incl. unsubscribe and preference change requests).
- Analytical and data-driven with a demonstrated ability to operate both strategically and tactically in a high-energy, fast-paced environment.
- Confident presentation skills with extensive experience presenting to Senior Management and Executives.
- Excellent written communication and copywriting skills
- Highly organized and efficient, with an ability to work towards and meet tight deadlines
- Creatively minded with an ability to craft numerous campaigns across multiple departments
- Solutions-oriented with a proactive and can-do attitude
- A strong working knowledge of Google sheets and/or Microsoft Excel
- A passion for using technological solutions to improve performance
- Versatile and with the appetite to learn by doing
- Exceptional eye for detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to build relationships across teams
Qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 3-5 years working in Email Marketing and/or related Digital Marketing
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business and/or Marketing or related field
- Experience in an e-commerce environment (advantageous)
- Experience managing a team
- Tech-savvy with a deep understanding of sophisticated CRM Tools and marketing automation software (like Salesforce and Braze)
- Experience using Litmus or similar email rendering tools is advantageous
- Experience using Return Path or similar deliverability tools is advantageous
- A grounding in Marketing and Communication principles
- SQL Skills (advantageous)
- Experience in team management
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun, and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, it’s all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an Extra Ordinary Mind who:
- is respectful but forthright
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed, and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant, and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is business SMART. Able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input;
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com
- thinks like an owner of the business
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARD WORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.