Table of Contents
Nedbank | JSE Compliance Officer X1
- REQ: 128023 – Refilwe Falatsi
- Closing Date: 26 October 2023
- Division: Wealth Management SA | Compliance
- Employment Equity Statement: Preference will be given to individuals from underrepresented groups.
Provide advice, guidance, oversight, and assurance on the adherence to compliance practices in client facing divisions (1st line) to ensure compliance risks are identified, assessed, managed, and reported on for Nedbank. Be a trusted advisor to 1st line but maintain independence of mind as part of 2nd line.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal stakeholders (i.e., the division’s 1st line as well as 2nd line divisional functions such as risk, AML and Legal, and 3rd line being Internal Audit) by establishing effective partnerships to identify and manage compliance risks
- Develop and maintain a clear understanding of the scope and nature of the stockbroking business conducted by 1st line (business acumen)
- As part of 2nd line, engage with 1st line to manage compliance risk i.e., risk identification, categorisation, assessment, management (completing and maintaining Compliance Risk Management Plans – CRMPs), monitoring and reporting.
- Adopt and adhere to a risk-based approach in the management of compliance risk.
- Develop a solid understanding of all high-risk legislation that applies to the Division.
- Keep abreast of all regulatory developments/changes that may potentially impact the s tockbroking business and engaging relevant stakeholders on a timely basis to ensure business readiness and ongoing compliance risk management.
- Contribute to the creation of a compliance culture and compliance awareness in the division by becoming a trusted advisor to 1st line (whilst maintaining independence of mind as part of 2nd line).
- Execute on the agreed annual Compliance Coverage Plan for the division within set timelines.
- Provide advice and guidance to 1st line on compliance risks, controls, systems, and possible contraventions, through formal and ad hoc monitoring and early detection.
- Provide assurance to 1st line on whether compliance requirements are met, and adequate compliance risk management practices have been implemented.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting on any non-compliance, the management of compliance risks, and the state of compliance in the division (1st line).
- Provide assurance to stakeholders on the state of compliance by reporting on how key risks are being managed, highlighting areas that require immediate attention and recommend corrective action to stakeholders.
- Present findings of compliance reviews to stakeholders through formal engagement.
- Comment on mitigating actions to be implemented by stakeholders through assessment of the adequacy thereof and recommend further corrective action (e.g., documenting policies and processes, etc.).
- Take an active part in all relevant governance and other committees.
- Have a monthly one-on-one engagement with each of your key stakeholders in 1st and 2nd line (e.g., business, risk team, legal team, AML).
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the role of a compliance officer as directed by management.
Management of self:
- Complete all relevant internal training and refresher programmes
- Become a member of the Compliance Institute of South Africa (CISA) and engage in continuous professional development initiatives
- Improve personal capability and stay abreast of developments in field of expertise by
- identifying training courses and career progression for self through input and feedback from management
- Contribute to a culture conducive for the achievement of transformation goals by
- participating in Nedbank Culture building initiatives
Essential Qualifications – NQF Level
- Advanced Diplomas/National 1st Degrees
• Post Graduate Diploma in Compliance Management
• Legal Degree
- Applicable market and regulatory qualifications (RPE, ACI, JSE Traders Exam, FAIS)
• JSE Settlement Officer examination and the Registered Persons Examinations
• Occupational Certificate: Compliance Officer
• Certificate in Compliance Management
• CPrac (SA) – Compliance Practitioner designation from CISA
• FSCA Regulatory Exam – RE 1 and RE 3
Minimum Experience Level
3-5 years’ experience in a compliance risk management role in a stockbroking environment.
- Relevant regulatory knowledge – e.g., JSE Equities and Derivatives Rules and Regulations, FAIS, POPI, COFI, FICA (AML), FATCA/CRS, Exchange Control
Technical / Professional Knowledge
- Change management
- Cluster specific operations
- Compliance reporting
- Governance, Risk and Controls
- Relevant regulatory knowledge
- Relevant software and systems knowledge
- Reputational risk management
- Risk management process and frameworks
- Stakeholder management
- Codes of Good Governance
- Decision Making
- Building Trusting Relationships
- Managing Work
- Quality Orientation
- Stress Tolerance
Please contact the Nedbank Recruiting Team at +27 860 555 566