Kumba Iron Ore | Geometallurgical Technician X1
We have an exciting opportunity for a Geometallurgist Technician to assist the Geometallurgist in management of the short term geometallurgy process ensuring that short term geometallurgical information is provided to stakeholders to enable mine to operate efficiently and meet production targets.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happens
Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible – from mobile phones to medicines.
Kumba Iron Ore
We produce high-grade iron ore, the key component in steel widely used in construction and manufacturing across the world. Our activities include all aspects – exploration; mining; processing and blending; shipping; marketing and selling. In South Africa, we have mining operations in the Northern Cape province, as well as a head office in Centurion, Gauteng, and a port operation in Saldanha Bay, Western Cape.
This is a key role within the Technical and Geology department, where you will be responsible to:
- Consistently apply Safety & Health principles in all team interactions and take personal responsibility for safety of self and others to ensure zero harm and elimination of fatalities.
- Plan, coordinate and set weekly and daily plans to direct and guide teams on priorities and work requirements.
- Ensure timeous and accurate delivery of geometallurgical samples and composites to laboratory.
- Assist the Geometallurgist with the staking of Geomet drill holes.
- Ensuring accurate staking.
- Ensuring timeliness of staking.
- Assist Geometallurgist with accurate and timeous logging of drill hole samples and capturing of logging data.
- Capturing of geotechnical information including point load testing.
- Oversight of core handling and drill rig management.
- Management of day-to-day activities of geology helpers.
- Management of geology helpers time and attendance sheets.
- Management of geology helpers leave.
- Ad hoc tasks and projects to assist in implementation of Tactical and Strategic Geometallurgical objectives.
- Proactively identify challenges and opportunities for improvement.
- Execute delivery the sustainability activities as relevant to discipline and set out in the Life of Asset Plan to improve sustainability performance over time.
- Implement environmental and social risk mitigation techniques as specified in the asset risk management approach as relevant to discipline.
- Act in line and support a purpose-led, high performing culture, applying the company values and principles of inclusion and diversity.
- Adhere to external local compliance requirements as a minimum level of site performance.
- Adhere to Anglo-American compliance requirements and ensure compliance of team.
- Conduct site inspections to identify and escalate non-compliance.
This role is in the Technical and Geology department at a Band 7 and reporting to the Geometallurgist.
You will need the following:
- Grade 12
- BSc Hons: Geology
- Registered with SACNASP
- 1 – 3 Years Relevant Operational experience
- Knowledge of operational processes within scope of role
- Risk management techniques and critical controls
- Driver’s Licence: Code B
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world.
As a responsible miner – of diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore, coal and nickel – we are the custodians of what are precious natural resources. We work together with our key partners and stakeholders to unlock the sustainable value that those resources represent for our shareholders, the communities and countries in which we operate and for society at large. Anglo American is re-imagining mining to improve people’s lives.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Preferential consideration will be given to candidates from host communities in line with our Social and Labour Plan commitments.
Anglo American / De Beers Group collects and processes personal data in accordance with the relevant regulations.
By applying for this job, you provide consent that your personal details, including your fingerprints, can be used to conduct background screening where appropriate.