Kumba Iron Ore | Fitter X7
We have an exciting position for a Fitter. You will be responsible to perform ad hoc mechanical maintenance on equipment and machinery in a safe and cost-effective manner to maximize equipment reliability and availability, whilst enabling the achievement of production targets. To conduct work on various equipment pieces (HME / Plant equipment)
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible
Kumba Iron Ore
We produce high-grade iron ore, the key component in steel widely used in construction and manufacturing across the world. Our activities include all aspects – exploration; mining; processing and blending; shipping; marketing and selling. In South Africa, we have mining operations in the Northern Cape province, as well as a head office in Centurion, Gauteng, and a port operation in Saldanha Bay, Western Cape.
As a Fitter, you will be responsible for the following:
- Maintaining and testing all equipment/machinery to ensure functionality, safety, reliability and availability to complete jobs within the specified timeframe and budgetary limits.
- Supporting relevant personnel by ensuring that RCA, as well as the necessary plant and equipment maintenance preparations and maintenance tasks, are done in accordance with SMP (Standard Maintenance Practice), to contribute to the achievement of improving work practices and operational targets.
- Performing a variety of hand, bench and tool machine work by machining differently shaped parts, computing angles of rake and clearance, computing from blueprints or specifications and shaping cutting tools to specified tolerances to maximize production and throughput schedules.
- Inspecting work done on critical components, identify and report defects, equipment failures and time required to do repairs to the Supervisor, thereby enabling applicable decision-making, action planning and problem resolution
- Accurately compile user-friendly and simplistic Numerical Control machine programmes for the CNC machines and 3D designs from the information of drawings/components to produce or manufacture the required components.
- Manufacturing components with a CNC machine using the Numerical Control (NC) programmes in accordance with the programme specifications to meet demand and requests.
- Providing advice in all maintenance-related matters and ad hoc jobs to all concerned parties in a pro-active manner aligned with best practices and within agreed-upon timeframes to avoid possible problems and uplift competence-base.
- Inspecting rigging equipment before lifting, moving and placing heavy components to be repaired/manufactured with the overhead crane and ensure components are slung within safety standards and the set lifting capacity of the equipment to prevent possible damage and injury.
- Identifying and utilize on-the-job learning opportunities to achieve the required competency levels. Attending all new relevant training and skills provided for the job
- Adhering to all health and safety practices requirements and promote good housekeeping to ensure compliance and an environment where team members can deliver their outputs within a controlled risk environment
This role is in the Engineering (AS &R) Department at a J4 level reporting to the Supervisor
- Grade 12 Certificate / N3 Technical
- Qualified as an Artisan (Fitter)
- Code 08 Drivers Licence
- Operational’ experience as an Artisan (including Fitting, Turning and Machining)
Who We Are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet, that means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
What We Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process
Preferential consideration will be given to candidates from host communities in line with our Social and Labour Plan commitments.
Anglo American / De Beers Group collects and processes personal data in accordance with the relevant regulations.
By applying for this job, you provide consent that your personal details, including your fingerprints, can be used to conduct background screening where appropriate.
Closing Date: 13 December 2021