De Beers Group | Mine Operations Controller X1
You’ll make it happen
We’re the world’s leading diamond company, powered by thousands of people around the world, with a mission to support local communities, protect our natural environment and shape a brighter future.
You’re comfortable working with diverse teams and can communicate easily and manage effectively.
You enjoy the planning and oversight of a project and know that keeping it on track does not just happen – a great deal of care is taken to ensure that standards, commitments, budgets, and schedules are adhered to.
Venetia Mine is South Africa’s most valuable diamond mine. As we develop the mine underground, it is also one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country. Venetia Underground Project (VUP) is a complex underground mechanized development, shaft, and mine construction project to deliver an operational Sub Level Cave mine operation. Experienced and effective management and control of the project works and mining operations through major contractors (EPC, Mining Contractor) and owner functions is essential for Safe, timely, and effective delivery of the project
Venetia Mine is implementing advanced mining automation systems to improve the safety, productivity, and cost-effectiveness of the underground operation.
If you are an experienced Mine Operations Controller who wants to make a difference, we would like to hear from you. The focus will be on providing dedicated operational support to the underground mine during the shift through the use of mine visualization and supervisory control and data acquisition systems.
In return, we provide a world-class working environment with generous financial and personalized work-life benefits as well as developmental opportunities to bring out the best in you.
As a Mine Operations Controller, you will monitor and control the underground environment, mobile and fixed plant, to deliver safe production targets on shift, that are consistent with agreed performance measures, and in line with the daily, weekly, and monthly plans of the broader operation/site.
You will be required to:
- Monitor the supply of services, utilities, and consumables to the underground operation and the environmental conditions for operational hazards including fires.
- React to alarms, exceptions, or adverse conditions by communicating with engineering or other personnel to rectify the situation effectively and speedily.
- Assist supervisory personnel with the implementation of emergency procedures and evacuations, including accounting for underground workers.
- Control traffic and access to the underground mine via the Decline and Ramps and assist with maintaining a safe underground operating environment by monitoring the location and movement of TMM and personnel.
- Clearly communicate with underground machine operators during the shift to facilitate the coordination of urgent work or to resolve exceptions.
- Communicate operational information and changes, including machine availability and performance, to relevant stakeholders to minimize delays in the mining activities during the shift.
- Ensure that production data and all work undertaken is recorded and logged in detail with integrity to an appropriate standard via the systems available.
- Produce shift reports that include detailed maintenance and production results to the requirements of the operation and end-users.
- Create work orders for equipment breakdowns, record breakdown data (incl. artisan feedback), and coordinate the repair and return to production of TMM.
- Coordinate the activities of maintenance personnel that are attending to machine and equipment breakdowns or issues affecting machine performance during the shift.
- Manage users on the TMM biometric access control system, perform administrative functions on the system and keep a record of deviations.
- Create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and customers.
- Grade 12 certificate / Standard 10 / N3 or equivalent NQF level 4 qualification
- A tertiary qualification in Mining Engineering or a similar related engineering field is desirable for career progression
- A supervisory qualification as Underground Hard Rock Miner will be advantageous
- Blasting Certificate for Underground Hard Rock Mines will be advantageous
- Accreditation as ‘Competent Person A’ will be advantageous
Experience & knowledge required:
- Minimum of 5 years underground mining experience of which at least 3 years must have been as a TMM Machine Operator, Miner or Mine Operations Controller
- Monitoring and control of underground mining processes, machines, equipment, people, and resources through the use of computerized management systems
- Computer literate and proven understanding and experience in the operation of mine management systems
Who we are
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers, and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations, and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health, and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high-performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.
How to apply
For all internal applicants, you are required to complete an internal application form and attach a detailed CV. This form must be accompanied with a signature from your immediate line manager and Head of Department, failure to do so would render your application invalid
- Preference will be given to Venetia employees who meet the criteria
- Submit applications on or before the