De Beers Group | Drill Rig Operator – VUP X4
Inclusive, supportive and innovative – come and be part of our bright future at Venetia! South Africa’s most valuable diamond mine is currently being developed underground. This opportunity allows you to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country.
As a Drill Rig Operator you will be responsible for drilling of blast holes to a blast design pattern using a mechanised drill. The responsibility will also include the drilling of service holes as well the installation of welded mesh support with roof bolts/split sets by means of the drill rig in accordance with a predetermined support pattern.
Our dedication to quality and high performance extends to our workforce, so we seek talented, ambitious people who will thrive in an environment which fosters individuality, inclusivity and creativity. If you like the idea of challenging and stimulating work in a diverse team, we’d like to hear from you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to a culture of zero harm by adhering to all requirements as laid down by legislation and health, safety, environmental and security policies and procedures, and by the application of specific instructions to own work area and task completion.
- Take-over/ hand over shift from off/on-going drill rig operator, attend to any abnormalities first, and then report to the supervisor to receive further instructions.
- Perform visual Inspections of equipment before, and during operation according to departmental procedure to minimise breakdowns and operational losses by the timeous reporting of defects / abnormalities to Supervisor.
- Operate equipment according to relevant mining requirements and Standard Operating Procedures to achieve daily drilling targets.
- Report and record relevant operational data as required by department procedures to compile production reports.
- Conduct efficient housekeeping of equipment and work area in accordance with departmental requirements.
- Perform all activities according to instructions, procedures and mining needs.
- Participate in cost saving initiatives and adhere to financial procedures
- Assist the Engineering personnel with breakdown maintenance as well as planned maintenance activities
- Accountable for own workspace and activities.
This role is in the Min ing department at a BU level reporting to the Shift Boss.
- Grade 12 / N3 / Equivalent NQF Level 4 qualification
- Competent B certificate
- Minimum of 3 year’s practical experience of operating a double boom drill rig in a Trackless underground mining environment
- Sound knowledge and experience of:
- Underground mining practices and operations
- Underground drilling knowledge and skills
- Safety, Health and Environmental Legislation and standards applicable to underground mining
- The incumbent will be required to work shifts
- Code C1 Driver’s License
- Required classification as per VTS testing for specific role (Orange +)
- Medical Certificate of Fitness to work underground
- The post is dependent on the successful completion of the Company’s pre-employment protocol such as qualifications verification, relevant psychometric assessments and a clear security clearance
Who we are
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high-performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.
How to apply
- To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing date: 14th July 2021