De Beers Group | Cable Bolter Operator – VUP X4
Inclusive, supportive and innovative – come and be part of our bright future at Venetia! South Africa’s most valuable diamond mine is currently being developed underground. This opportunity allows you to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country.
As a Cable Bolter Operator, you will be responsible for drilling support holes in the hanging wall according to plan and operational requirements.
Our dedication to quality and high performance extends to our workforce, so we seek talented, ambitious people who will thrive in an environment that fosters individuality, inclusivity, and creativity. If you like the idea of challenging and stimulating work in a diverse team, we’d like to hear from you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to a culture of zero harm by adhering to all requirements as laid down by legislation and health, safety, environmental and security policies, and procedures, and by the application of specific instructions to own work area and task completion.
- Take over/ hand over the shift from off/on-going bolter operator, attend to any abnormalities first, and then report to the supervisor to receive further instructions.
- Perform visual Inspections of equipment before, and during operation according to the departmental procedure to minimize breakdowns and operational losses by the timeous reporting of defects/abnormalities to the Supervisor.
- Operate equipment according to relevant mining requirements and Standard Operating Procedures to achieve daily bolting targets.
- Report and record relevant operational data as required by department procedures to compile production reports.
- Conduct efficient housekeeping of equipment and work area in accordance with departmental requirements.
- Perform all activities according to instructions, procedures, and mining needs.
- Participate in cost-saving initiatives and adhere to financial procedures.
This role is in the Mining department at a BU level reporting to the Shift Boss.
- Grade 12 / N3 / Equivalent NQF Level 4 qualification
- Competent B certificate
- Required classification as per VTS testing for a specific role (Orange +)
- Minimum of 2 year’s practical experience of operating a cable bolter in a Trackless underground mining environment
- The previous operation of a Sandwich DS 421 Cable Bolter will be advantageous
- Sound knowledge and experience of:
- Underground mining practices and operations
- Underground drilling knowledge and skills
- Safety, Health and Environmental Legislation and standards applicable to underground mining
- Code B Driver’s License
- Medical Certificate of Fitness to work underground
- The post is dependent on the successful completion of the Company’s pre-employment protocol such as qualifications verification, relevant psychometric assessments and a clear security clearance
- The incumbent will be required to work shifts
Who we are
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high-performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.
How to apply
- To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing date: 14th July 2021