De Beers Group | Artisan: Boilermaker Urgent Work Mechanical X3
Inclusive, supportive and innovative – come and be part of our bright future at Venetia! South Africa’s most valuable diamond mine is currently being developed underground. This opportunity allows you to be part of one of the largest infrastructure projects in the country.
The Engineering Trackless Mobile Machinery (TMM) Artisan Boilermaker in the VUP Area necessitates a suitably qualified incumbent who will be required to maintain and assist in the operation of equipment and systems according to sound engineering practice and equipment specifications.
Our dedication to quality and high performance extends to our workforce, so we seek talented, ambitious people who will thrive in an environment that fosters individuality, inclusivity, and creativity. If you like the idea of challenging and stimulating work in a diverse team, we’d like to hear from you.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Provide specialized boilermaking (including plating and welding) services.
- Investigate, diagnose and perform trade-related maintenance and repair of equipment and machinery according to the maintenance requirements.
- Attend to defects raised on pre-start reports, breakdown sheets and over-inspection reports.
- Perform equipment over-inspection on work done by apprentices and operators where appropriate and provide feedback and guidance as required.
- Provide relevant feedback to the Senior Engineering Foreman and co-workers regarding equipment performance and conditions.
- Carry out scheduled and non-scheduled repairs and installation work as required.
- Discuss work backlog and future work requirements with the Senior Engineering Foreman and plan corrective measures to rectify, e.g. re-scheduling, prioritizing, labor assistance, etc.
- Identify spares requirements and orders according to departmental procedure.
- Adherence to policies and procedures.
- Perform inspections in accordance with the Mine Health & Safety Act regulations, manufacturing and Company standards to report all defects and breakdowns on equipment and machinery to the Senior Engineering Foreman.
- Planning of activities in accordance with production schedules and allocation of resources as required.
- Effective communication to relevant stakeholders to minimize production delays.
- Training and development of subordinates.
- Upholding of safety, health and environmental standards to achieve ZERO HARM.
- Maintenance and repairs of all TMM mechanical equipment.
This role is in the VUP Engineering department at a CL level reporting to the Senior Engineering Foreman.
- Grade 12 / N3 / Equivalent NQF Level 4 qualification with pure Mathematics and Physical Science
- Relevant Trade Certificate Boilermaker / Plater / Welder
- Minimum of 3 years previous TMM experience (open pit/underground).
- Underground mining experience will be advantageous.
- Sound knowledge in maintenance, repairs, and fault finding.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Planning and control of maintenance schedules as per SAP PM.
- Valid EB / Code 8 Drivers License
- Computer literacy – MS Office Suite
- Be prepared to work shifts, do standby duties, callouts, and work overtime
- Successfully obtain a Medical Certificate of Fitness to work underground
- Your consideration for employment is subject to:
o SAPS Criminal Record verification and a valid EB / Code 8 Drivers License.
o Qualifications Verification.
o Relevant Psychometric and Technical Assessments
Who we are
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities, and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high-performing teams take accountability for their own and others’ actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing date: 19th July 2021