Role Category: Process Optimisation
BU Name: UBE: Mining, Impumelelo
Geographical Area: Balfour (Dipaliseng), Mpumalanga, South Africa
End date of advert: 13 April 2019
Sasol Mining operates six coal mines that supply feedstock for our Southern African integrated value chain. The coal supplied to Secunda Synfuels Operations (SSO) is mainly used as gasification feedstock and some is used to generate electricity. The coal supplied to Sasolburg Operations (SO) is used to generate electricity and steam. We also export coal from the Twistdraai Export Plant to international power generation customers via the Richards Bay Coal Terminal.
PURPOSE OF JOB / ROLE INTENT
To enable, support and facilitate the safe and responsible execution of Enterprise/BU operations towards zero harm and sustainability through a proactive safety approach.
CORE ELEMENTS OF JOB
1. Delivery targets (e.g. tons, products, service)
– Monitor and respond proactively to hazards in the workplace
– Conduct hazard identification in the workplace
– Facilitate safety related risk assessments
– Lead incident investigations
– Facilitate RCA’s
2. Quality results (agreed standards/compliance)
– Participate in the development of shutdown planning and campaigns
– Participate in ad hoc Service Provider audits on site to check compliance to SHE file
– Participate in safety system audits, e.g. Logbook audits, lock-out audits, legal
appointment audits, insurance engineer’s audits etc.
– Provide input during risk assessments to ensure safety issues are identified
– Provide advice on the selection and use of specific PPE
– Participate in the respective forums
– Participate in the roll out of the Safety Improvement Plan and report updates as
3. Leadership and growth results
– Portray the enterprise values and goals at all times
– Execute own and team competency development
– Coach team and others on safety
– Continuously develop extensive knowledge relating to the field of work and personal
mastery in technical skills application
4. Management Results
– Ensure that self and team meet targets, due dates and quality standards
– Plan and execute according to your performance contract
– Manage adhoc requests and tasks
– Review policies, standards and procedures
5. Customer and relationship results
– Establish and maintain relevant networks
– Team and colleague communication
– Ensure the availability of all relevant information
6. Innovation and improvement results
– Identify, evaluate and recommend improvement opportunities
– Input into the compilition of new and the revision of existing safety procedures and
– Readily share information and knowledge with peers
7. Leadership competencies:
– Ensuring continuous personal growth and development
– Creating and innovating
– Applying intercultural intelligence
– Building relationships and networking
– Adapting and responding to change
– Facilitating transformation and change
– Facilitating continuous improvement
– Thinking and interacting globally
– Upholding corporate image and reputation
MAJOR CHALLENGES / PROBLEM SOLVING
– In-depth knowledge of, as well as application of various sets of legal requirements (SHE
related requirements, MHSA, etc.)
– Highly unionised (multi-union) environment in which union and employee engagement is
– Ensure that Production team is provided with practical assistance to operations in order to
implement relevant procedures, toolkits, processes and systems to achieve the desired
maturity level it SHE
– The Safety Officer renders a service in an underground coal mine.
– It is a high pressure, production environment, governed by various legal requirements.
– It is a highly unionized environment (multi-unions) and engagement with all unions and
employees are critical.
– Complex interfaces with contractors and suppliers also exits.
– Information from various sources needs to be considered to ensure legal compliance.
In line with Sasol’s commitment to Employment Equity, preference will be given to suitable candidates from designated groups.
In addition to a pre-employment medical examination, some positions may require a physical fitness assessment, as part of the normal pre-employment selection criteria.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
– Grade 12 with Maths and Science with trade qualification (alignment to Engineering or Mining career
– 7 years total work experience (Mining Related)
– National Diploma in Engineering or Safety Management:
– 3.5 years total work experience (Mining Related; Engineering / Mining Practices)
– B. Tech in Engineering or Safety Management:
– 1 year total work experience (Mining Related; Engineering / Mining Practices)
– Must be in possession of a valid driver’s license and own transport
KEY COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
Self Mastery: Takes accountability for driving own growth through developing self-awareness, reflecting, seeking feedback and self-correcting.
Failure to provide Sasol with truthful information and valid documents will render your application null and void.
Please note that the Sasol Group/ Sasol Mining will never request you to make cash deposits/ payments as part of the recruitment process.