Anglo American | HR Officer X2
People are at the heart of our business
The mining sector’s regulatory, socio-political and labour market context has significantly shifted over the last decade. The nature and extent of union and employee demands on employers has shifted, in labour markets constrained in their supply of scarce and critical skills. An aging workforce increases the risk of loss of expertise and reduction in productivity. For the future it will be essential to manage demographics and talent to have the right people with the right capabilities and the right skills needed to drive Anglo American´s business.
The role of the HR Officer is to support the HR Coordinator and the HR Administrators and is a key position in Corporate South to ensure an accurate, and seamless delivery of the payroll and benefits and associated tasks at all times.
Manages, and audits payroll input for the accurate delivery of the ACSSA payrolls ensuring full statutory compliance, working in collaboration with the Reward and Global Mobility team, and managing the relationship between HR Services and Global Shared Services (GSS) Payroll team.
- Manage the payroll administration and delivery in collaboration with GSS Payroll of the ACSSA payroll using SAP, ensuring company policies, procedures, statutory rules, and audit requirements are adhered to resulting in an accurate and timely payroll output circa 1,000 employees.
- Management of the onward service delivery to the high standard currently within Anglo American to all Internal and external customers, specifically with the GSS Payroll team
- Identify and facilitate system updates/changes ensuring full testing is completed by the team resulting in full statutory compliance.
- Identify and implement ongoing process improvement, including documentation of process maps and updating procedures where system or legislative changes occur.
- Collaborate on the Anglo-American benefits schemes, medical aid services, etc.
- Collaborate on the ACSSA budget submissions (PCP process) plus the Reward teams invoiced costs, including forecast outlooks as required by finance. Coordinate with the HRBP’s, cost centre owners to ensure the correct staffing levels are included. Respond to queries from finance and managers regarding assumptions.
- Manage SA International Assignee payrolls circa 50 employees in conjunction with the Reward team.
- Manage the statutory Gender Pay/Equity reporting requirements, extraction of data, identify exclusions, full analysis and reporting, providing data to the Reward team for the global and company reporting requirements.
Safety, Health & Environment
- Demonstrate consistent behaviour in line with health, safety and environmental standards and policies and with the Group’s values
- Participate in relevant safety events, audits, inspections and observations, and address issues as part of demonstrating safety leadership
Sustainability & Social
- Identify and implement processes/services that build relationships with key stakeholders
- Facilitate relationships with suppliers, subject matter experts and HR leads to ensure that projects deliver value
- Look for opportunities to deliver solutions that are both sustainable and that have a positive impact on our people.
People & Teams
- Demonstrate behaviour in line with the Group’s values, standards and a professional workplace
- Provide leadership to, and develop the performance of, your team in line with the Group’s policies and systems (e.g. performance management) in order to achieve business goals. As part of this:
- Within the direction set by your leader, develop a clear and aligned plan for your team;
- Foster a constructive and productive working environment;
- Monitor the work of each team member and provide regular and useful feedback to them on how they are performing and
- Drive delivery of objectives holding team members to account for their work.
- Ensure compliance with the Anglo American values and policies.
Knowledge and Skills
- Up to date knowledge of payroll and remuneration related SA legislation and requirements
- Full understanding of conditions of employment and applicability to payroll and SA labour legislation
- Practical experience of SA Tax system and working knowledge of Real Time Information and its requirements.
- Experience of payroll and service transitioning projects
- Experience of expatriate payroll would be an advantage
- Experience with SAP payroll modules or similar solutions would be an advantage
- Experience of Success Factors HR system interface to payroll would be desirable but not essential
- Reward benefits desirable but not essential
Technical Skills: Ability to apply the following skills at a defined level of proficiency required for the role
- Convey technical payroll concepts/issues to all levels
- Deliver and advise on payroll processes
- Maintain confidentiality and use initiative
- Work analytically with strong numerical & analytical skills
- Work responsibly and proactively under own initiative
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to prioritise and multitask
- Accurately work with large amounts of data
- Proven ability to work responsibly and proactively under own initiative
- Understanding of business and customer drivers that generate value and impact decision making
- Understanding of broader business drivers and impacts in relation to change embedment
- Identification of risks and opportunities that could materially impact the operation and ensuring business requirements and processes developed mitigate/leverage them.
- Proficient in establishing and implementing a culture within discipline where safety and health is paramount resulting in zero fatalities
Social Process Skills are the people skills needed to ensure effective interactions with other people to achieve productive outcomes and build effective relationships.
- Able to analyse own behaviours and impact on others and adapt behaviours to suit context and circumstances
- Can observe ‘self’ in a variety of one-to-one and group encounters, reflecting and learning from the interactions, requesting feedback, and identifying opportunities for improvement
- Recognises and accepts the need to put the overall business needs ahead of their own and can deal with the internal conflict/stress that may generate
- Understands their role as a team member and team leader (where applicable) and can translate into their day-to-day interactions
- Understands the behavior of individuals and the effects on the team, resolving conflicts
- Team Leader (where applicable) – Fosters a climate that is inclusive and where team members feel safe to contribute, collaborate, receive feedback and coaching
- Establishes and nurtures relationships with stakeholders, by use of effective listening and questioning to better understand the other person or group
- Understands how to influence or negotiate with others, in order to achieve productive outcomes
- Can effectively balance positive interactions with getting the work done
- The drive, determination, persistence, and commitment to apply the other elements of capability to complete safe, sustainable productive work
Undergraduate qualification or equivalent experience
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
Closing Date: Saturday 26th March
Since safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines have become widely available this year, we have strongly encouraged employees to get vaccinated at the earliest possible opportunity. However, as vaccines have been proven to be a very effective and safe way of protecting people and reducing Covid-19 transmission, we have now announced our intent to introduce a policy that requires Covid-19 vaccination for access to all sites and offices. This policy would apply to all new joiners to the company as well as existing employees and contractors.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of the process