Table of Contents
Anglo American | Diesel Mechanic UG (12 Months Fixed Term Contract)
Join us as Artisan Diesel Mechanic to maintain, install and commission the machinery and equipment to an agreed standard in the area of responsibility.
Technical challenges. They don’t get much deeper.
Anglo American has a portfolio of world-class mining operations. We mine, process, move and market the essential ingredients that enable a cleaner, more connected world and that meet fast growing consumer-driven demands for products from smartphones to electric cars. Our basic materials build homes, offices, railways and airports, and our diamonds fulfil people’s dreams.
Our Platinum business mines, processes and refines the entire range of platinum group metals (PGMs): platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium. We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world – from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers to petroleum refining.
The Artisan Diesel Mechanic role will maintain, install and commission the machinery and equipment to an agreed standard in the area of responsibility.
Key responsibilities of this role are:
- Attend and conduct Safety meeting
- Conducts and participate in Risk assessments
- Allocate tasks to subordinates
- Attend to Breakdowns and emergencies as required
- Ensure that material, spares and equipment are available as required
- Ensure proper and adequate on the job training and coaching is provided to subordinates
- Comply to environmental requirements
- Exercise judgment with regards to replacement of components
- Maintains a high quality of work
- Timely and accurate information
- Records results of all legal examinations in the appropriate format
- Works in a sequence that prioritises work requirements
- Completing job cards and description of work and spares used (PM’s)
- Performing work to the required standards and specifications
This role is in the engineering department at a C2 level reporting to the Coordinator Engineering.
- Grade 10 or Technical Trade Specific N2
- Diesel Mechanic Technical Trade certificate – (section 13 or 26D)
- Minimum 3 years underground experience post trade qualification
- Hardrock mining experience would be advantageous
- Experience working with GHH 4.4, LHDs, GHH UVs, Toyota LDVs will be advantageous
- Basic Computer Skills
- Communication skills
- Must be able to do standby
- Must be familiar with risk assessments procedures
- Valid driving license code 08 and own car preferably
- If successful, you will be required to undergo a Medical Fitness Test
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package, but more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We are a large, successful multinational company – and we are still growing all the time.
Who we are?
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine. We work together with our key partners and stakeholders to unlock the sustainable value that those resources represent for our shareholders, the communities and countries in which we operate and for society at large. Anglo American is re-imagining mining to improve people’s lives.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing Date: 16/10/2022